Feeling anxious occasionally can be a normal part of life for most people. For example feeling anxious about a new place, starting a job, or taking a test and this feeling is unpleasant but it may motivate you to do better and work harder and doesn't interfere with your daily life. When any kind of stress or stressful situation comes up, anxiety is your body's natural response to stress. But people with anxiety disorder can frequently have intense, excessive, and persistent worry and fear about everyday situations that interfere with daily living that can last more than 6 months. Anxiety disorders can involve repeated episodes of intense fear or terror that can reach a peak followed by panic attacks when it is intense.
From feeling butterflies in your stomach to a racing heart or at times feeling out of control like there is a disconnect between your mind and body. Some other ways include panic attacks, nightmares, and painful thoughts or memories that you are unable to control or a general feeling of fear and worry about a specific event, place, or thing.
Symptoms of general anxiety include.
● Trembling or shivering
● Racing heartbeat
● Rapid breathing
● Feeling restless or nervous
● Feeling tired or weak
● Trouble concentrating
● Experiencing gastrointestinal problems
● Difficulty in falling asleep
Symptoms may differ as per experience so you may feel like you are not experiencing like others. So it is necessary to know the types of anxiety.(DID NOT UNDERSTAND)
The cause of anxiety can differ as per experience. For some people, it can be due to some traumatic experience and for some, it can be linked to an underlying health issue. Signs of medical problems such as heart attack, diabetes, thyroid problems, heatstroke, hypoglycemia, respiratory disorders can also be a reason for anxiety.
Some causes of anxiety are:
● Stress at work or school
● Stress in a personal relationship
● Financial stress
● Stress from global occurrences or political issues
● Stress from uncertain world events, like a pandemic
● Stress from an emotional trauma such as losing a loved one
● Stress from a serious medical illness
● A side effect of medication
● Drug misuse or withdrawal
● Withdrawal from alcohol
● In circumstances SUCH as diverse high altitude sickness or pulmonary embolism, lack of oxygen can be a reason.
These are some common causes but researchers exactly don’t know what can cause anxiety disorder. It can be due to a combination of factors that can play a role in triggering anxiety disorder like chemical imbalance, long-lasting or severe stress can change the chemical balance that controls your mood. Persistent stress for a long period of time can lead to an anxiety disorder.
Environmental factors such as experiencing a traumatic event or a trauma can trigger anxiety disorder.
Heredity, if your family has a record of anxiety disorder it can impact you.
Psychotherapy and medication are commonly used treatments for anxiety disorders.
● Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
● Exposure therapy
Making lifestyle changes too can help like sleeping on time and consuming healthy foods. To check the best foods to eat if you have anxiety click here.
If you need talk therapy or any other help contact a psychologist.
Recommending Psychologists and Therapists:
1. Life Coach Steffi Prasad - Psychologist & Therapists - Utopia Life Coach in Siliguri, West Bengal, India.
2. Khusboo Tomar - Psychologist: Centre for Forensic & Clinical Psychology